Thursday, December 07, 2006

Deep calls to Deep

Deep calls to deep
in the roar of you waterfalls
all your waves and breakers
have swept over me.
--Psalm 42:7

This past weekend, Becci, Anna, and I rode three hours north in a tightly packed tro-tro to the town of Hohoe (pronounced Ho-ho-ay).
It was a weekend full of incredible hikes through Jungle Book rainforest's, alongside rivers, and with views of neighboring mountains and neighboring Togo.

Friday we went to Wli Waterfalls. After an hour-long hike we approached hundreds of butterflies with the striking falls up ahead, they are the tallest in West Africa and are indeed impressive. We put down our bags, stripped down to our swim suits, and walked slowly into the pool of icy, but refreshing, water. As we moved closer and closer to the falls, the air was rushing and blowing water everywhere, blinding us. So we put our backs to the falls and took one step at a time, fighting the forces, and finally arriving directly beneath the falls. The pressure was incredible as the water was crashing down, rushing and roaring around me.

After the swim, we decided to hike up the mountain to the upper falls. At the beginning the guide, offered us walking sticks... not a good sign. It was a challenging and tedious hike, but as we climbed higher and higher I found pleasure in the work and my vulnerability, as I witnessed God's beauty surrounding me. It's an incredible experience to push yourself like that, mentally and physically, and only once the falls were reached did I truly appreciate my efforts and the new perspective that came from being on top.

Saturday we went to Togba Falls, and took an easier hike through the beautiful rainforest complete with eight wooden bridges, at the ends of which were clusters of bright yellow butterflies. At the falls we swam a little and then enjoyed a tiny picnic. On Sunday we went to Logba-Tota, another waterfall and also a cave. After yet another challenging hike, now on sore legs from the past few days, we arrived at a most beautiful fall hidden in a corner of the mountain. We put down our bags, went into the water up to our waists and then hoisted ourselves into the small, dark cave.

In life we are constantly surrounded by majesty, and as I struggled through one hike after another, I was reminded by how amazing God's love is that he would give us a world so full of beauty, and I was reminded by how small I am compared to the greatness of His creation.

The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah
The canyons echo sweet amazing grace
My spirit sails, the mighty gales are bellowing your name
and I've got nothing to say
Glory, Glory Hallelujah
--Andrew Peterson