Friday, March 30, 2007

the Great Decider

I am in a church made of concrete with openings along the walls that allow the air in. I sit on a wooden bench or a plastic lawn chair. And I listen. There are occasional moments when I am sure the words of the speaker are divine and they are words I recognize to be of my Father. But more frequently I struggle to identify with the message -- I sit uncomfortably in my chair and try to discern some truth, searching for God in the words even if they seem unfamiliar.

Since my arrival I have been caught in a world of God. Surrounded by the highest growth rates of Christianity on the globe, Africa is indeed searching for an answer. In the average village, and even city, shops have names like: Jesus is Great Fashion Center, God is My Witness Fast Food, Jesus Saves Fan Milk Depot, and God is King Spraying Works. It is common for a person to wish you God's blessing as they bid you goodbye. Most school children have numerous prayers and Bible verses memorized, and many of my friends wake up as early as 4 am to say prayers and read their Bible before the day begins.

The world of Africa is struggling to get on it's feet, struggling to overcome the past and survive the future. I often become distracted during church, Bible study, and devotions; distracted by the alternating between English and Ewe, distracted by the differences in theology, and I find myself drifting to the familiar words of the Bible sitting in my lap. But recently I had a revelation and an explanation for Africa's Christianity boom: the pastor declared, "Hand over your life to Him, He can keep it better." In America we can avoid God, but in Ghana it's difficult to be so independent. I reflected on the absence of running water in houses, as well as the absence of bathrooms and the numerous people I have witnessed relieving themselves publicly. Both, simple signs of un-development. I thought about the dark presence of AIDS and other potentially fatal diseases like Malaria and Typhoid. As the pastor spoke about traditional African shrines, the spirits that travel and have to be summoned by witches and juju, he triumphantly proclaimed, "Our God does not travel, He is with us regardless of when and where." He stated, "Life is about conviction," and asked, "Can you die for what you believe?" It then occurred to me that God has been received in Africa because with Him there is an eternal future with promise and an escape from the harsh realities of our bitter world.

But I am still compelled to ask, Is this God, my God, and are we worshiping the same Father and Christ? I am often confused by their teachings, and as we read the same Bible passages I have heard again and again since childhood, I wonder, If we both have the same source, can the comprehension and application really be that different? And, Can I be the one who has misinterpreted the meaning of His word? Further, If our faith is innocently subjected to the consciousness of our culture, can we possibly have gotten it all wrong? -- Could this have a tragic ending? Finally, What is the crucial truth? Is is Jesus Christ alone?

The average Sunday worship service lasts between two and four hours, including: prayers, the singing of hymns, reading of scripture, multiple (mandatory) offerings, and a long account of announcements at the end. Initially I was irritated by the seemingly endless length of the service, how could I not be? -- it's in my breeding. In the US the pastor feels pressure to release his congregation and church closes at 12. Americans are a busy people, perhaps filled by unnecessary busy-ness, but we are on a schedule nonetheless; with exactly one hour to spare for church on Sunday morning. But in Ghana, this concept of time frame is essentially non-existent. As I thought about the comfort, assurance, and strength a worship service can provide, I discovered that perhaps they last so long in Ghana because they are the oasis of the desert and it's only natural to dwell in such a place.

One evening while on a walk with the Moderator of the EPC and his wife, we heard the prayers of a local church -- it's a charismatic congregation that holds prayer meetings multiple times a week, with the use of a loud speaker, and often encouraging speaking in tongues. As you can imagine, it can be very loud. Mrs. Buama asked me how I felt about it and I responded too quickly, "I just don't understand what they are making so much noise about." She then simply answered, "God." At that moment, it was clear to me. And though I still wonder, If we are sincerely worshiping the God who calls us, is it possible to have taken the wrong path? -- I find assurance in God's control and that He is indeed the Great Decider.