Thursday, September 14, 2006

English please

On Sunday we went to church. I feared the cultural differences would hinder it from being a time of worship and spiritual nourishment, so I must admit I was not really looking forward to going... The service was in Twi, I know only about 40 words in Twi, and my mind was drowning in language. God must have recognized this because three times through the service English was spoken: (1) they were talking about fasting this week, Monday through Friday, (2) in the middle of the sermon the pastor looked in our direction and said, "What I am saying is if you want to serve the kingdom of God to the end, you have to be patient," and (3) when the 4 of us were unsure if it was appropriate to take communion the pastor nodded at us to come to the front and then administered it in English. Over the 2 hour and 45 minute service it was these moments that brought me peace, hope, and nourishment.