Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Keep telling stories

Sing songs as you go, and hold close together. You may at times grow confused and lose your way, continue to call eachother by the names I've given you, to help remember who you are. Touch eachother and keep telling stories.

It occurs to me that I have not said anything specific about the other three volunteers I am sharing this adventure with. Their presence has indeed been a blessing. From day one when we faced our airport dilemma and were forced to become a team, until now, as we have spent every day of the last month together: eating meals, traveling, learning, having fun, sharing stories from our pasts, and talking about the future. We are all very different: we share different pasts and different dreams about the future, we like different food and music, we have different families and studied different things in school -- but despite our differences we compliment eachother and are bound by our love for God and willingness to serve Him. In the past few months I have come to respect these women. It is with them that I have learned how to be here now, appreciate each moment, and find pleasure in this country and its culture. It is through these friendships that I have been able to transition into this new world, as they have comforted, challenged, and strengthened.


Yesterday our site coordinators, Glen and Carol, came up for a visit, and told us that we will be leaving Abetifi on Friday, which is a week earlier than expected. We will go to Accra for a couple of days (I think), then we will head off to our individual placements, and I am very excited to finally get to Ho and my placement.