Tuesday, September 12, 2006

This is it!

In an effort for the blog to contain the whole story from beginning to end I have cut and paste from past emails, so pay no attention to the dates and times of the first few posts.


I'm sitting in a computer lab at the University of Chicago soaking wet from the rain, and of course, putting off packing. The bus comes to pick us up at 4 and then my flight takes off at 8:15 pm with a layover in London.

We have finally finished our week of training and orientation. It was a week of information overload, anxiousness, excitement, and friendship. And, although I woke up every morning counting down the days till arrival and dreaded sitting in rooms for hours upon hours, I must admit, that maybe, I am a little thankful we had this opportunity to be together as a group.

So I sit here, incredibly excited and ready to be there. Just yesterday I was able to visit a Ghanaian worship service, the members welcomed us with warmth, prayed for us, and were so very excited to hear about my journey to their home. It was a wonderful taste of what my future is to hold (even though I did freak out a little when they began worshiping in a tribal language).

Upon arrival (I think) I will be going through 2 weeks of orientation in Accra, Ghana, with the other three volunteers, and then I will move to Ho and have another 2 weeks of orientation (including some language training).


I am unsure of the internet availability, but I hope to be able to write shortly after arrival.

love,
Nora