Thursday, September 14, 2006

Kumasi

This post is the accurate date and time.

Yesterday we took a road trip to the city of Kumasi, the cultural capital of Ghana, it was a two and half hour drive north including many bumpy roads and traffic. While in Kumasi we went to a former Ashanti palace, built by the British, which is now a museum. There we learned about the history and culture of Royalty in Ghana. We also went to a cultural center where local artisan work is sold: wood work, clothes, jewelry, etc.

And finally, we went to the outdoor market. It is a city of one million people; so imagine organized chaos, people everywhere. We had to walk in a line to stay together through the crowds--when I was not looking down to make sure I wouldn't step in mud or trip on a rock, I was looking ahead to make sure I was still following our teacher, and when I was not looking down or ahead I was ducking as to avoid walking into a bowl or basket on a man or woman's head. Now imagine tables and small stands with walls and a roof, lined up along the roads, in between buildings and even over train tracks. There are sections of the market selling different items. There is a food section with all sorts of vegetables, raw beef, raw fish/smoked fish, and giant snails. Then there is a fabric section, rows of fabric stands, the most beautiful fabric you have ever seen, bright colors, unique patterns. And of course there is a modern section, selling electronics, western clothes, hundreds of used shoes, and so much more.

It was so overwhelming to be in the market, we had to move so fast as we walked through to avoid getting in the way. It was such a rush and so exciting to see this way of life, but while I was in the midst of the market it was the first time since I arrived in Ghana that I felt disconnected to where I was and what was taking place. I think it was my first moment of culture shock.