Friday, September 29, 2006

my purpose

This morning I woke early, had a breakfast of fresh bread, cherry jam, and hot tea. Then I went back to the room, pulled a chair onto the porch and read. The sun was heavy, but with the wind and cover of the porch, the weather was cool and refreshing. There were cheers and sounds of excitement coming from behind the guesthouse, where a large group of local teenage boys decided to skip school and play a game of futbol.

As I sat reading, my mind wandered thinking about what is to come. This morning is my last morning in Abetifi, possibly for the rest of my life; it has become my home in Africa, the streets and sounds of the village are familiar, as well as the many friendly faces that have warmly welcomed me into their community, and now I am leaving to build another home.

When I think about what is next to come I cannot help but wonder about the work I will be doing. Glen, my site coordinator was telling me of all the different opportunities I will be able to be a part of through the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Ghana: there is a store where I will be able to teach women skills of management, there are over ten churches in the area that were just given enough money to be roofed, there is an agricultural site, and also a silk weaving site. In all of these opportunities I will be able to work with my hands and my mind, and my heart as I love the people I am working with.

But as I sit here anticipating the future I am reminded of my purpose: Glen shared that we have been brought to Ghana, not to show the people the right way to do things, or the better way, I am not here to enable. The people of Ghana are strong and smart and capable, they can do the work. Rather, they have invited me to their country to work beside them, to learn about their culture and values, to become a part of their communities, and then to share my experiences with the world.